Watercress
Watercress Ubud Review: Fresh Food, Great Coffee & A Cafe That's Definitely Worth Visiting
One of my favourite things about visiting Ubud is discovering cafes that become more than just somewhere to eat. With so many cafes scattered throughout the town, it's easy to find good coffee or a decent breakfast. Finding somewhere that makes you want to linger long after your plate is empty is much rarer. That's exactly how I felt when I visited Watercress Ubud.
Located on the ever-popular Monkey Forest Road, Watercress is one of those places that's incredibly easy to stumble across, but once you've been, it's equally hard to forget. Whether you're starting your morning with breakfast, escaping the afternoon heat with an iced coffee or winding down over dinner after a day of exploring, it has a relaxed atmosphere that encourages you to slow down.
As soon as I walked through the doors, I understood why it has built such a loyal following with both locals and travellers. Natural light pours through the cafe, greenery softens every corner and there's an effortless energy that feels welcoming rather than busy. Despite being located on one of Ubud's liveliest streets, stepping inside Watercress feels like taking a deep breath.
A Cafe with Heart
Whenever I visit somewhere new, I always like to learn the story behind it. It's one of the reasons I started The Ubud Edit. I don't just want to tell you where to eat I want to tell you why somewhere has become special.
Watercress first opened its doors in Batu Belig back in 2012 before expanding to Berawa and, more recently, Ubud. While the locations have grown, the philosophy has remained the same. The team simply wants to create food people genuinely enjoy eating, serve exceptional coffee, offer a thoughtfully curated drinks menu throughout the day and make everyone who walks through the door feel welcome.
It sounds simple, but sometimes the simplest ideas are the ones that leave the biggest impression. That philosophy isn't just something written on a website you can genuinely feel it while you're there. Locals stop in for their morning coffee, travellers wander in after exploring Ubud, digital nomads settle in with their laptops and friends gather over brunch. Nobody feels rushed and everyone seems equally welcome. In a town filled with incredible cafes, that's something worth celebrating.
Breakfast Done Beautifully
One look at the menu and I knew choosing breakfast wasn't going to be easy. If you're anything like me and take forever to decide what to order, you'll understand my dilemma. Every dish arriving at nearby tables looked colourful, fresh and beautifully presented. I changed my mind more than once before finally settling on the Truffled Mushroom Scramble (95K).
To go with it, I ordered a coffee and, because I was feeling a little adventurous, a bottle of traditional Balinese jamu.
Before I continue, a quick disclaimer: I enjoyed this breakfast before I was diagnosed with a gluten and dairy intolerance. Since then, I've contacted Watercress and they've kindly confirmed they can cater for dietary requirements, including gluten-free and dairy-free options. If you have food intolerances like I do now, it's always worth letting the team know when you order.
The Truffled Mushroom Scramble featured beautifully whipped truffle eggs, wild buttery mushrooms and fresh scallions served on toasted seeded sourdough. It was everything I'd hoped it would be. The eggs were beautifully light and creamy, with just enough truffle to add richness without overpowering the dish. The mushrooms were earthy and full of flavour, while the scallions added freshness that balanced every bite. Combined with the crunch of the sourdough, it was one of those breakfasts that makes you slow down and savour every mouthful.
Then there was the jamu. I'd heard people rave about Bali's famous wellness drink for years, so I confidently picked up the bottle, popped in the straw and expected something fruity and refreshing. Let's just say... that wasn't what happened. I wish someone had filmed my reaction because my face probably went through a million different expressions in about five seconds.
The jamu I ordered from BALITUMERIC was made with turmeric, ginger, honey and lime, giving it a wonderfully earthy, spicy flavour that was unlike anything I'd tasted before.
Was I shocked? Absolutely. Did I secretly start enjoying it after a few sips? Also absolutely. By the time I'd finished the bottle, I was convinced I'd either become significantly healthier or, at the very least, earned myself an honorary Bali badge. Would I order jamu again? Without hesitation. Now that I know what to expect.
More Than Just a Cafe
One of the things that stayed with me wasn't just the food. It was how comfortable Watercress felt. Some cafes are somewhere you eat before continuing with your day. Watercress is somewhere you naturally want to stay. Whether you're travelling solo with a book, catching up with friends, working remotely or simply enjoying a slow breakfast, the atmosphere somehow suits everyone without losing its personality. That, I think, is what makes it memorable.
Another thing I appreciated was how easy Watercress makes planning your visit. If you're hoping to stop by during a busy breakfast or brunch service, you can conveniently book a table online before you arrive. It's a small touch, but one that makes the experience even more enjoyable, especially during peak travel periods.
My Final Thoughts
There are plenty of places in Ubud where you can enjoy a good breakfast. Watercress offers something more. It offers genuinely welcoming service, beautifully prepared food, exceptional coffee and, perhaps most importantly, a space that encourages you to slow down and enjoy the moment.
For me, it wasn't just another cafe recommendation for The Ubud Edit. It was another reminder that some of the best places you discover while travelling aren't always the ones with the biggest queues or the flashiest interiors. Sometimes they're simply the places that make you feel welcome from the moment you arrive. Watercress did exactly that.
Whether you're visiting Ubud for a few days or staying a little longer, I'd happily recommend adding it to your itinerary. If you're planning to visit for breakfast or brunch, I'd suggest making an online reservation beforehand so you can simply arrive, settle in and enjoy everything this wonderful cafe has to offer.
I know it'll be one of the first places I return to on my next trip.


Comments
Post a Comment